Sermon Discussion Questions: Luke 1:26-38 & Philippians 2:19-30
Discussion Questions for personal devotion and family worship - week of November 17th
From "The Glorious Annunciation": Luke 1:26-38
1. Why did Pastor Jon call Gabriel's visit to Mary "surprising"?
2. Why was Mary "greatly troubled" at Gabriel's announcement (v. 29)?
3. What is the significance of the name "Jesus"? How does this name relate to God's past covenant promises?
4. Pastor Jon made the point that the Lord is a God who keeps all of his promises. How do we see that truth playing out in Gabriel's announcement to Mary?
5. Gabriel announced that Mary's son would be "great" and called "the Son of the Most High." Yet, Jesus would be born and would live in very humble circumstances. What is the significance of these two truths taken together?
6. How is Mary's response to Gabriel different than Zechariah's response?
7. The angel tells Mary that "nothing will be impossible with God." How should that response comfort and encourage us today?
From "Godly Role Models": Philippians 2:19-30
1. Why do we need godly role models?
2. How was Paul a role model to Timothy and Ephaphroditus?
3. How was Timothy a Christ-like leader? What does it mean that he was genuinely concerned for the welfare of the church (v. 20)?
4. How was Epaphroditus a fellow-soldier to Paul? Why is it significant that Paul uses the military metaphor to speak about service to the church?
5. What is the significance of Paul calling Epaphroroditus a "brother" (v. 25)? How should this lead us to think about our fellow members in the church?
6. Pastor Jon said that this "Travel Log" was a "portrait of grace." Why is that true?
7. These men were all following the example of Christ in their service to the church. Why is it necessary for us to be grounded in the Gospel and have our eyes continually fixed on Christ in our service to God's Kingdom?