Sermon Discussion Questions: Luke 1:39-56 & Deuteronomy 5:1-6
Discussion Questions for personal devotion and family worship - week of December 1st
From "Mary's Magnificat: A Song of Praise to God": Luke 1:39-56
1. What are the reasons that Christ is precious to Christians?
2. According to Andrew Gray, what is the proper response to Christ? Why?
3. Why is Christ the only way to have peace with God?
4. What truth did Elizabeth confess when Mary visited her? What was she saying about the long awaited Messiah?
5. Verses 42 and 45 indicate that Mary was "blessed." What are the two ways she is blessed? In what ways are you similarly blessed?
6. How does Mary personally testify to God's grace?
7. What does Mary confess regarding God's love and justice?
8. What does Mary declare in reference to God's covenant promises?
9. How do these truths that Mary declares help to comfort, encourage, and exhort us today?
From "An Introduction to the Ten Commandments": Deuteronomy 5:1-6
1. What is God's Moral Law? How is it different from the Civil and Ceremonial Law?
2. Why is it important to understand the context of God's law?
3. What does it mean that the law is a "rule of love"?
4. How does understanding the law help us better understand our salvation?
5. Why did Jesus say that he came to "fulfill" the law in Matthew 5:17?
6. Why should we not think of the law as a burden?
7. How is the law our friend now?
8. How does the law continually point us to Jesus?