New CCP Sunday School begins October 1st
The Bible is peppered with exhortations to study, learn, and grow as Christian believers. Spiritual stagnancy and intellectual idleness are unacceptable for God’s children. Indeed, Peter calls the church to “grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ” (II Pet. 3:18). Paul directs us to be not “conformed to this world, but transformed by the renewal of [our] minds” (Rom. 12:2). And Jesus prays, “sanctify them the truth, thy word is truth” (Jn 17:17). In all of these texts there is a holy expectation that God’s people will make spiritual progress through a faith-full appropriation of God’s life-changing Word. Sound doctrine leads to sound lives.
For this reason our Reformed and Presbyterian tradition has always made Christian doctrine a priority in the life of the church. When believed, by grace through faith, sound doctrine leads to spiritual growth in Christ. This commitment to the teaching of sound doctrine is usually expressed in Reformed churches through faithful expository preaching in Lord’s Day morning and evening worship, weekly Bible studies, one-on-one discipleship, the regular use of the Westminster Larger and Shorter Catechisms, and Sunday school classes.
I am delighted to announce that next Lord’s Day, October 1st, 9:30 a.m. (sharp) we will commence our Sunday School program for all ages at Christ Church Presbyterian. We have gifted instructors for every age group.
* Marla Payne and Helen Royal will teach the toddler class (ages 2-3). The toddlers will learn about God’s Family, studying the line of promise from Adam to Joseph in the book of Genesis.
* Kent and Marianne McAvoy will teach the preschool class (ages 4-5). They will learn about God and His creation from the book of Genesis.
* Rob and Susannah Whelan will teach the early elementary class (grades 1-3). They will study stories and lessons from the book of Genesis, all which will point them to Christ.
* Stevie and Austin Griffin will teach the elementary class (grades 4-7). They will study the nature, joys, and duties of Christian worship.
* Dr. Gabriel Williams will teach the Jr high thru High School class (grades 8-12). This class will study a book entitled 7 Toxic Ideas Polluting Your Mind by Anthony Selvaggio, a book that will help students to form a strong Christian worldview in the face of conflicting world views which are prevalent in our secular culture.
* Pastors Jon Payne and Ross Hodges will teach the adult class. This class will study the historical background, meaning, and practical application of the Apostles’ Creed. We will use RC Sproul’s book What We Believe: Understanding and Confessing the Apostles’ Creed as a resource and a guide.
In a 2016 Barna study, it was revealed that only 17% of all churchgoers attend Sunday school. Perhaps the growing biblical illiteracy in America is partly due to our lack of commitment to teach our children the Bible in our homes and in our churches. I warmly encourage you and your family to attend Sunday school at Christ Church. In addition to fostering learning and spiritual growth, the added fellowship will cultivate stronger relationships in the body, both for the adults and the children. I Look forward to seeing you and your family next week at 9:30 a.m. as we launch our new Sunday school program for the glory of God and spiritual health of our church. More information is coming soon regarding class locations and the new time for the congregational prayer meeting. Soli Deo Gloria!
More in Christ Church Presbyterian
June 2, 2020Letter from Pastor Jon | Some Thoughts on the Current Crisis
May 31, 2020Pastoral Letter | Evening Service Cancelled [May 31]
May 30, 2020Between the Times | Interview with Dr. George Carter